The call comes ahead of a possible second summer heatwave and an unprecedented number of large grassland fires London’s firefighters worked in tough conditions to tackle last week. New statistics show that in the week commencing Monday 18th July 2022, London Fire Brigade (LFB) received 8,302 calls and attended 3,231 incidents. In addition:
- Firefighters attended more than 1,000 fires.
- The number of 999 calls received was more than double taken for the same period last year.
- Thirty-four grass fires required an attendance of four fire engine and above.
Disposable barbecues pose a significant fire risk if they are not put out properly, causing grass fires in open spaces and scorching the grassed areas. The dry spell has left grassland like a tinderbox and increases the chances of a fire caused by a disposable barbecue
LFB are also reiterating that people should not barbecue on balconies and during this exceptional dry spell Londoners should not have any barbecues or open fires in parks and public spaces.
London’s Fire Commissioner Andy Roe has already written to local authorities asking for a temporary ban on the use of barbecues in all public parks and open spaces. LFB are very grateful to councils which put bans in public places but now feels disposable barbecues need to be taken off the shelves needed to help prevent widespread blazes.
Retailers, including Waitrose and Aldi, have announced they will no longer stock disposable barbecues because of the detrimental impact they have on the environment and wildlife.
Disposable barbecues also pose a health risk and heat can be retained for many hours after a barbeque has been put out. The Brigade is backing a petition set up by Toby Tyler whose son, Will, was severely burned by a disposable barbecue. The petition can be found here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/618664.
Commissioner Roe said, “Despite our grass fire warnings, we’ve still seen some people behaving carelessly and recklessly. On Saturday (23rd July) firefighters prevented a serious blaze at Wanstead Flats caused using a disposable barbecue. We need urgent action now to see a national ban on the sale of disposable barbecues. They can be bought for as little as five pounds and can cause untold damage, especially when the grass is as dry as it has been over the last few weeks. Last week is another example of how we are increasingly being challenged by new extremes of weather as our climate changes and we’re developing long-term strategies to deal with more incidents like this in the future.”
Grass fire prevention tips:
- Don’t drop cigarettes or anything that is burning on dry ground.
- Don’t drop cigarettes out of car windows - they may land on dry grass by the roadside.
- Don’t have barbecues in parks and public spaces.
- Don't barbecue on balconies, the wind may carry smouldering ash towards nearby grassland.
- Be aware of children, animals, balls or anything else may knock over barbecues, increasing the risk of grass fires - especially when in busy parks or public spaces.
Assurity Consulting are leading experts in workplace health, safety and environmental compliance. For more information on our services, and how we can help you, please contact us on tel. +44 (0)1403 269375 or email us.