Natasha unknowingly consumed sesame seeds, which she was allergic to, when she ate a pre-prepared baguette. She collapsed on a flight and died on 17th July 2016.
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said legislation for ‘Natasha’s Law’ will be introduced by the end of the summer making it a mandatory requirement for full ingredient labelling for pre-packed foods for direct sale. To give businesses time to get ready for the changes, the new laws will come into force two years later.
Environment secretary Michael Gove described the teenager’s parents as an inspiration as they have campaigned to make changes to the law to protect food allergy sufferers. He said, "These changes will make food labels clear and consistent and give the country's two million food allergy sufferers confidence in making safe food choices."
Natasha’s parents Tanya and Nadim said, "We are absolutely delighted that the Secretary of State has announced the Government's decision to go ahead with full allergen and ingredient labelling. While Natasha's Law comes too late to save our beloved daughter, we believe that helping save other allergy sufferers and their families from the enduring agony that we will always bear is a fitting legacy for her life.”
The charity Allergy UK said it was delighted at the news of full ingredient labelling. Its chief executive Carla Jones added, "This move towards full ingredient labelling for pre-packed direct sale food will improve the lives of the allergic customer."
Assurity Consulting are leading experts in workplace health, safety and environmental compliance. Our team of food safety experts have been helping businesses manage their catering operations, whether internal or outsourced, for over 30 years. For more information about our services, or to see how we could help you, please contact us on tel. +44 (0)1403 269375 or email us.